Thursday, August 6, 2015

Dr. Dennen's Article

Dr. Dennen's article What do Students Think, Want, and Do? gives a realistic overview of how students view social media in personal and professional settings. I would have to agree with the focus of the research on privacy and identity management issues because that is something that would be concerning when blending personas (educational and personal). I too frequently turn to search engines for the majority of my information when it comes to professors to find their research and background experience. I can also see that the privacy setting of these social media tools are not being used to their full potential. My favorite two points of the article was that students like to find information about others on the web but do not necessarily want others finding information on them and the contradiction that student say they have learned form seeing assignments online but are hesitant to have theirs posted online.

This article is exactly how I feel and I think hits the nail on the head in terms of understanding students and social media. Great article with great research! I would like to replicate this in the coming years and see if in the future is vies have changed over time.

How do you feel about posting assignments online?

1 comment:

  1. About posting assignments online, it depends on the nature of the assignment. If the assignment is writing a blog, or posting tweets, or participation in online discussions, why not? If the assignment is posted anonymously, why not? But it the assignment is about reflection on our learning theory, or participation log in this course, I do not want to post online or share with other classmate. I would be worried that others may judge me by learning theory and participation.

    ReplyDelete