Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Wikipedia and Issues

Since last week we were exploring Wikipedia and this week we are exploring privacy issues I want to mash them together and found this on Wikipedia!

This Wikipedia site covers several topics such as: Identity theft, predators, stalking, fame, employment, victimization and surveillance. My other blog post mainly was concerned about the surveillance of the online site.

Identity Theft: I think this becomes an issue when people become too trusting over the internet. There are so many issues with credit cards and license numbers that cause a major problem for society. Although, I don't think this is too much of an issues when dealing with certain web 2.0 tools such as twitter and slide share. There is limited information on some platforms that make identity theft a non-issue.

Stalking: This is something that does have an inpact on the Web 2.0 tools that we use in the class. Mainly because it leaves that digital footprint and anyone can Google my name and my blogger, my twitter and my scoop.it all appear on the first page. If someone wanted to know what I was doing on a daily basis and find out more information about me and what I do, it is only a Google search away.


Out of these factors of privacy online which do you think is most important to address?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_concerns_with_social_networking_services

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I have greater fear of stalking enabled by public records searches (where I live, where I work, what conference I'll be presenting at). That said, I'm hesitant to post details about when I'm traveling on public forums unless I know my home will be occupied at that time.

    ReplyDelete