Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Diigo

Diigo a.k.a Information Hub!

What is it?
 If you wanted to share and keep a place for all your information Diigo is the place to do it. It provides a place to store your bookmarked information, connect it to your blog, add other blogs to monitor and so much more! You can use it to edit webpages that you would like remember or revisit and open those edits in any other device. Also, you can download pages/articles to read when you do not have internet access, which is probably my favorite feature that I have learned about.

My experience:
So far I have found Diigo to not be ultra user friendly. It seems as if its hard to navigate and figure out how to get to different places but perhaps it is just me. I am not sure if this is a tool I will be using outside of this class just because I am not sure I want this website to have all my bookmarked sites/passwords and so much information. Also, I prefer to read hard copies than via eBooks or books online. If you are having trouble with Diigo, I highly recommend this video on the blackboard site.

Based on articles shared by Dr, Dennen in the EME6414 group it seems like a great place to find scholarly articles. I think this website is much different then the only ones we have so far explored in the class which have had a heavy social and original post aspects to it. I feel like Diigo is trying to do too much and therefore instead of doing one thing spectacular it just does a bunch of things so so. Personally, I think it could be jazzed up a bit with some colors.

I have found some interesting articles such as what education technology could look like over the next five years by Katrina Schwarts (link). I have shared through the Diigo tool bar to Twitter!

What have you done with Diigo so far?

Nicole Reid

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I find Diigo useful for bookmarking for myself and/or to share with targeted others (co-authors, a research group). It seems better than tweeting links (the tweets get lost, evaporating in a feed). Tagging helps me find things later. And then there are the annotation functions, which I'm going to try to get folks to use in a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it has a learning curve and I think that the idea is great but its one of those tools that you need to have more time working with it and exploring it before you truly see the greatness of the tool. I am not there yet myself and if what I have read about and learned so far about it works out it can be a great tool, time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try tagging out! Thanks Dr. Dennen! I was trying to see how all the different tools worked! I did end up highlighting and using a sticky note on an article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ron,

    Yes, so far it has taken lots of practice and trying to use the tools effective but to my surprise it is growing on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agreed! Diigo hasn't been user friendly for me either. But I supposed it's a great way to access scholarly articles that you might want to check out later!

    ReplyDelete