Monday, July 13, 2015

Social Media - Good or Bad for Employment



Social Media: Good or Bad to employers

I have always heard students and teachers saying whenever applying to graduate school or professional job to either delete your social media accounts and or change your name (although some sites such as Facebook say this is against the rules) but I see my friend, i.e. Jessica Valentine turn into Jesea Valintine (slight rearrangement of letters and play on words). That way her friends still know who she is but employers and schools have a harder time finding her. Times Inc. network published an article about the ten most common mistakes that cause millennials to lose their jobs. This was always my perspective, based on my experience of watching my friends post inappropriate pictures on social media. http://time.com/money/3019899/10-facebook-twitter-mistakes-lost-job-millennials-viral/


This was always what I thought until I came across and articles published July 10th about social media presence enhancing profile!! At first I was like no way, but then I thought about. If you use social media in a educational and not personal way I could see how this would be beneficial like the article states. It could foster educational relationships and show that you have knowledge of your field. http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/money/business/2015/07/10/use-social-media-enhances-profile-employers/29855329/


What is your opinion?

1 comment:

  1. I think that you have to be careful in what you post. Maybe that's why the discussion on antonymous posts or having an alternative ego for online posts. With the world having the 24/7 news at the finger tips with technology I can see how companies, schools, etc are concerned what their students, employees, etc post online. Businesses and people who found guilty in the world of the internet court system fast, even if innocent the traces of the posts from people can make you guilty for the rest of your life since things in the internet can stay forever. I had an incoming officer that had her settings on facebook public. Pictures that she had up quickly made its round through the unit and I had to put a stop to it for the professionalism that I saw. When she arrived I told her that it was her choice what she posted but when it starts to creep into her work then it becomes an issue that I must address. I recommend that she limit the setting for the facebook account. I wouldn't post the pictures on facebook but compared to pictures that people take, especially at her age, I guess its more normal. I had to deal with similar situations with both men and women, especially as officers in the military because there is an higher expectation out of them.

    ReplyDelete